[caret-users] Missing landmarks

John Harwell john at pulvinar.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 19 09:08:24 CDT 2003

Hello,

The "landmarks from flatting" file should be created each time the
flattening of a full hemisphere is performed and consists of three
borders that identify the dorsal region of the medial wall, the ventral
region of the medial wall, and the location of the calarine sulcus.
During the flattening process the medial wall border is cut into two
pieces by the frontal cut and the calcarine cut.  If the medial wall,
the calcarine cut, or the frontal cut are missing, named improperly
(names other than MEDIAL.WALL, CalcarineCut, FrontalCut), or either of
the calcarine or frontal cuts does not intersect the medial wall, that
is the most likely cause of the landmarks from flattening border file
not being created.

A file that should always be created when flattening a full hemisphere
is named "TemplateCuts.<#nodes>.borderproj".  This contains the medial
wall and all cuts made during the flattening of a full hemisphere.  You
should be able to start the flattening process, and, at the point in
the process where you are asked to update the medial wall and cuts,
delete all borders, and then load this "TemplateCuts" border projection
file.  Verify that the frontal and calcarine cuts intersect the medial
wall and then proceed with the initial flattening.  The "landmarks from
flattening" file should be created and it is not necessary to continue
beyond the point of the initial flat surface being created.

John Harwell
john at v1.wustl.edu

Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
660 S. Euclid Ave.    Box 8108