[caret-users] remaining two handles

Donna Hanlon donna at brainvis.wustl.edu
Fri Jul 30 16:14:39 CDT 2004

Mellanie,

When I'm flattening and get only 89 crossovers, sometimes I'm relieved.

But I was able to see the two areas that could be improved in your
segmentation.

In caret, when you try to flatten, you can see two patches in the
compressed medial wall view (see attached file
crossover_patches_cmw.jpg).  The trouble spots are painted red, but
they're small and hard to see, so I placed a green id node just to the
right and below the one on the calcarine sulcus and one at either end of
the larger parahippocampal gyrus (PHG) one.  The attached file
crossover_patches_inflated.jpg shows the trouble spots on the inflated view.

When drawing your flattening cuts, you can draw around the PHG handle,
and it will be excised from the surface for flattening purposes.  But if
you plan to do surface-based registration, this might come back to haunt
you.

The other one is right on the calcarine sulcus, and you might get lucky
and draw your calcarine cut right over it.

But it's better to fix it in the segmentation -- especially if you're
going to do registration.

Donna