[caret-users] Caret Segmentation

Donna Dierker donna at brainvis.wustl.edu
Tue Jun 5 16:31:50 CDT 2007

Hi John,

No trouble at all replicating the problem.  I got the same little blob
near the midline.

Your peaks were way off, so I cranked them up -- around 80 on the GM,
100 on the WM.  These can probably be tweaked more optimally.  But my
first try still gave the bad result, so I'm not sure it wasn't really
one of the other variables I changed:

* output format to AFNI
* eye disconnect off
* hindbrain low threshold
* ventricles and everything below basic segmentation off

Normally, I change one variable at a time, but I'm headed home in five
minutes.

My first try at cranking up the peaks (80 and 95, I think) still gave
the bad result.  Debug showed it was failing somewhere between eye fat
disconnection and hindbrain removal.  The above combo with peaks 80,100
looks like it will give a decent result, albeit with some tedious
cerebellum to remove.  This is the drawback of the low thresh hindbrain
removal:  Less thresholding out of cortex you want, but more
thresholding in of hindbrain you don't want.  The segmentation is still
running, but looks more promising.

Donna

On 06/05/2007 03:14 PM, John Arsenault wrote:
> Hi Donna,
>   Thanks so much for taking a look.  I checked it out and it doesn't
> appear to think it is mistakingly the right hemisphere but maybe that is
> hidden to me. I uploaded it as chip_leftHem.zip.  Thanks so much for
> checking this out,
>       John
>

>> Hi John,
>>
>> I think I've seen something like this once before, when the spec file
>> thought it was a right hem, but it was really a left hem (or vice versa).
>>
>> Once you rule out that possibility, then zip up your directory,
>> including cropped hem, params, and any other files you think may help
>> and upload the zip file here:
>>
>> http://pulvinar.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/upload.cgi
>>
>> I'll have a look.
>>
>> Donna
>>
>> On 06/05/2007 12:06 PM, John Arsenault wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>   I am attempting to segment a macaque left hemisphere to create
>>> surfaces
>>> for data representation using caret.  I am using a very nice .35mm
>>> isotropic anatomical with intensity normalization but for some reason
>>> the
>>> resultant segmentation of surefit is a small blob of medial frontal
>>> white
>>> matter that really has no anatomical correlate and is about 1/4 of the
>>> size of the normal fiducial surface.  This doesn't seem to be related to
>>> the image intensity because gray matter segements very well at 76(the
>>> value prescribed by surefit) and white matter as well segments very well
>>> at 100.  Also it doesn't seem to be the fact that the image is of .35mm
>>> instead of the 1mm suggested since I was able to nicely segment the
>>> right
>>> hemisphere.  Another possible problem is the fact that the image has