[caret-users] regitering two surface

Donna Dierker donna at brainvis.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 20 07:58:23 CDT 2007

Hi Pedro,

Yes -- Caret does surface-based registration, as described in the
registration tutorial:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/caret/pdf/Caret_5.5_Tutorial_Segment.pdf

If these two surfaces are from the same subject, then the core 6
landmarks (the set typically recommended for inter-subject registration)
will not achieve optimal registration; in that case, additional
landmarks (e.g., STS, POS -- as many as you can reliably identify across
timepoints) are recommended.

For each surface, you'll need to use Surface: Geometry: Generate
inflated and ellipsoid from fiducial, to generate inputs the above
tutorial expects.  You might also consider trying John's new method for
registration without flattening:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/pub/donna/PUBS/Reg_no_flat_and_new_border_drawing.pdf
login pub
password download

I haven't tried it myself yet.  I'm not sure whether your Caret version
will include all the features you need to try this.

Finally, we tend to use the midthickness (fiducial) surface, rather than
the WM/GM surface.  We generate a midthickness surface by averaging
coordinates of Freesurfer-generated [lr]h.white and [lr]h.pial surfaces.

Donna