[caret-users] Brodmann's areas 12 and 34

David Van Essen vanessen at brainvis.wustl.edu
Mon Mar 10 18:46:44 CDT 2008

Paul,

On Mar 10, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Paul Rasser wrote:

> Could you please let me know why Brodmann's areas 12 and 34 were not
> included in the subdivision of the Human.colin atlas?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Rasser

Area 34 is in the medial hippocampal region (just anterior and medial
to area 28) and is not included in the PALS-B12 atlas because medial
hippocampus could not be reliably segmented and reconstructed using
1mm-voxel 1.5T MRI volumes.

Area 12 was not explicitly defined by Brodmann in humans.  In Joel
Price's more recent architectonic studies, he explicitly links macaque
area 12 subdivisions to human 'area 47/12' subdivisions.  For more
details, see:
  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12692859
Quote from abstract:  "Areas 47/12r, 47/12m, 47/12l, and 47/12s occupy
the lateral orbital cortex, corresponding to monkey areas 12r, 12m,
12l, and 12o"

David VE