[caret-users] Freesurfer to Caret scripts: Trouble with talairach.xfm (MNI transform too big)

Donna Dierker donna at brainvis.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 12 16:12:44 CST 2009

So far, I believe the most likely explanation for the problem I saw with
the one case I'm testing is an isolated sub-optimal registration from
orig to MNI305 (or 711-2C in MNI305 space).  It's not a disaster, but it
looks 5-10% too big.  (The attached B12mritotal_on_mni305.cor.jpg shows
good fit between the 711-2B_as_mni_average_305_mask segmentation volume,
mni305.cor anatomical underlay, and mean PALS_B12 MRITOTAL surface.  The
B12mritotal_on_orig.mni.cor.jpg capture shows the same segmentation
volume/mask and surface, but the orig.mni anatomical volume, which was
generated by applying talairach.xfm to the orig.LPI volume.)  Looking
through the atlas volumes, etc., I have no reason to believe this will
be an issue on other cases.  I will run more cases on my end, to see if
this is a systematic problem.  I very much doubt it, because it would
have surfaced elsewhere.

I abandoned the notion of combining mri_convert steps for two reasons:

* When I tried to combine a transform with a reslice, occipital cortex
got shaved.
* Concatenating the orig->MNI and MNI->711-2B matrices left me with no
orig.mni volume to troubleshoot bad talairach.xfm problems.

The extra resampling doesn't worry me, because the resulting
orig.711-2B.nii volume is more than adequate for the purposes of
auto-landmarks and vetting surface alignment.

I pulled the mri_convert steps out of the import subroutine, so that
they don't get run twice (once for left, once for right).  Help requests
this afternoon have prevented me from properly testing this change, and
I'll be in an all-day retreat tomorrow.  Back at it Monday.

Donna