[caret-users] Creating a surface-based atlas from a volumetric-atlas

Donna Dierker donna at brainvis.wustl.edu
Tue Nov 4 10:54:14 CST 2014

Try this one:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/pub/donna/ATLASES/HUMAN/PALS_B12/Human_PALS_B12.LR.MEN_WOMEN.AVG-LANDMARKS_Core6.SPHERE.borderproj
login pub
password download

As I recall, though it's been a long time, the GUI Caret took either border or borderproj, but the command line caret_command wanted a borderproj.

You indicated you know this is a human target, and you're just getting the feel for it.  With monkeys, we use more than the core 6 landmarks.  Some of the older tutorials have figures showing more of the sulci.

There are many other tools for surface-based registration these days (e.g., ones that use sulc patterns to match without the need to draw landmarks).  The connectome project uses MSM:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24939340

You can still use Caret, but just making sure you know there are alternatives.